Toolkit for Talking Co-ops & Sustainable International Development
It doesn’t get more ambitious than this: end extreme poverty, fight inequality and fix climate change – all in the next 15 years. Yet that’s what world leaders committed to when they signed onto the United Nations’ vision for a better world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. They’ve made the commitment, now comes the doing.
That’s where co-ops come in. While other organizations were “discovering” sustainability, cooperatives have quietly been making it happen for decades. And nowhere more dramatically that in the sphere of international development.
On July 2, nations around the world will celebrate the International Day of Cooperatives, with its 2016 theme, “The power to act for a sustainable future.” The U.S. Overseas Cooperative Development Council (OCDC) and its members invite you to join in.
Use the materials in our Toolkit for Talking Co-ops and Sustainable International Development to spread the word to your members, readers, users, audiences, colleagues – not just on July 2 but in the months to come. They're "plug-and-play" or you can tailor them to your audiences.
Tools to Use
- News release
- Link to International Day of Cooperatives
- International Day of Cooperatives logos
- Sustainable development success stories
- Mongolia: Co-ops build economic resiliency, community
- Paraguay: Growing crops, co-ops – and women agricultural leaders
- Uganda: Co-op delivers local, reliable health care
- Nicaragua: Cattle association expands business, benefits members
- Mozambique: Milk paves road from poverty
- East Timor: Coffee co-op markets globally, provides sustainable future for members, communities
- Afghanistan: Credit union helps woman build sewing business
- Philippines: Co-ops electrify a nation of islands
- Social media
- We encourage everyone to use the following hashtags so we can track our work to raise awareness of international cooperative development: #intlcoopdev and #coopsday.
- Sample tweets and posts