Position: Communications Manager
Level: Mid – Senior
Nature: Full-time, remote
Application Submission: email@example.com
This mid to senior level position is an ideal opportunity for an experienced communications professional ready to take the next step into a leadership role in international development advancing cooperative development in low income and emerging economies for equity and shared prosperity. Located in a small, collegial organization, this multi-faceted position will be filled by a person experienced in written, oral, and electronic communications who is seeking to apply skills to make a meaningful difference in people’s lives.
Background: The International Cooperative Research Group (RG) is a division within the US Overseas Cooperative Development Council (OCDC). As a membership organization of Cooperative Development Organizations (CDOs) working in a variety of sectors, OCDC is committed to advancing a more prosperous world through cooperatives. The RG uses academically rigorous methods to carry out research and provide evidence about the impacts of cooperatives, primarily in the developing world. Seeking to increase the effectiveness of cooperative development as well as its uptake as a development strategy for inclusive growth and self-reliance, the RG carries out research that focuses on the enabling environment as well as on the capacity of cooperatives. The RG is committed to providing practical solutions that fill gaps in knowledge.
The RG is currently implementing a project funded by USAID under the Cooperative Development Program (CDP), the Cooperative Research, Education and Dissemination (CRED) project. This position is funded under a five-year Cooperative Agreement.
Overview: Reporting directly to the International Cooperative Research Group (RG) Director, the Communications Manager (CM) plays a crucial role in the management of CRED and helps to ensure conformity to program goals and deliverables. As with all members of the RG, the CM is expected both to work independently and exercise leadership in communications, and as a team member supporting and collaborating with the other members of the RG. The CM also plays a critical role also in the formulation of RG strategy.
Key Tasks: The CM oversees and supports external communications, including website content and consistency of messaging, marketing and outreach regarding RG knowledge and related products, strategic communications, and related task under the Dissemination Pillar of CRED These activities include but are not limited to the following responsibilities:
• Realizing and ensuring consistency of the RG’s web presence, including managing support contractors and overseeing website improvements and upgrades
• Monitoring and gathering data for tracking indicators of website usage and demand for RG materials and knowledge products
• Managing design contractors for published reports (print and electronic), working as appropriate with other RG Managers
• Developing an annual Strategic Communications Plan, working closely with the RG Director and other RG staff as appropriate
• Developing and implementing marketing and communications campaigns and strategies including developing appropriate performance indicators of success and monitoring these for each channel
• Overseeing the creation of marketing and communications collateral to ensure that it is consistent with the organization’s brand, including white papers, website copy, and more
• Writing and producing a quarterly newsletter and other communications, including updated website content, to keep stakeholders abreast of RG work and accomplishments
– Press Statements
– Social Media (Twitter and LinkedIn)
– Website Listings (Events and special announcements)
– Website Content and development (E-Repository, Hub, Data Visualization, Rich Media Assets, COVID Response)
• Facilitating and promoting research dissemination events, such as policy dialogues, research forums, webinars, and learning event, collaborating with the RG and other members of the RG team from which a Content Coordinator will be selected as appropriate. The OCM’s responsibility includes oversight and integrity/suitability of technical platforms for virtual activities
• Managing the planning and execution of CRED external events, including interfacing with partners and vendors to ensure that events are executed with the right audience and consistent with RG budget and strategic objectives
• Managing, as requested, specific activities with a technical or outreach component, such as the CLLE events in the field, collaborating with CDOs and working closely with the RM and the RG Director
• Identifying and implementing innovative communications strategies to reach a variety of audiences
• Working with the RG Director create internal communications protocols and initiatives that will foster employee morale
• Carrying out other tasks as required and as assigned by the RG Director
The position requires a well-rounded communications professional, who is both tech savvy and expert in the realms of written and oral communications, including publication and design.
• BA in Communications
• 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the communications field
• Experience working in international development and across cultures
• Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communications
• Website management and conceptual design experience
• Knowledge of USG and experience working with USAID
• Language skills, with Spanish and French preferred
• Knowledge of cooperatives and cooperative development
Please submit your application, including your CV and a cover letter expressing why you are interested in the opportunity, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted on a continuing basis until the position is filled. Thank you for your interest!